The historical roots of Glamis by no means should suggest that the Castle has not remained fashionable; additions, alterations and reconstructions have all taken place in order to satisfy the aspirations of the Strathmore family.
A Castle fit for a Queen – By the time Mary Queen of Scots and her entourage visited Glamis in 1562, the East Wing was dominated by the main Tower, which had been added in about 1435. The Castle was enclosed within a fortified court.
The 17th century witnessed many changes. The West Wing was added, as well as a small north-east wing containing the chapel. The courtyard buildings and much of the fortifications were swept away and replaced by a baroque setting of courts, sculptures and vistas.
In the mid-18th century the grounds in front of the Castle were landscaped with radiating avenues of trees. New kitchens, a Billiard Room and new service courtyards beyond the East Wing were all added in 1773. Two years later, the West Wing was demolished and remodelling of the grounds into open parklands in the style of Capability Brown began. This was achieved by pulling down the garden walls in front of the Castle and moving the De’il Gates to the boundary where they stand today.
The pitched roof of the East Wing was replaced with castellations in 1797 and the reconstruction of the West Wing in a matching style was effected in about 1800. The main avenue was replanted in about 1820.
In 1893, the 13th Earl laid out the Dutch Garden in front of the Castle. This return to a formal style was continued with the creation by The Queen Mother’s parents of the Italian Garden in 1910. This was the last major alteration and completes the modern day appearance of the Castle.